DURING 1997-2013 ASSOCIATION
ANIKA IMPLEMENTED 36 PROJECTS:
SOCIAL SPHERE/EMPLOYMENT 13 PROJECTS
Projects tackle following thematic issues:
- Implementing humanitarian programs for families of disabled children;
- Providing day care services for disabled children and adults;
- Promoting employment for persons with disabilities and their family members;
- Offering programs of rehabilitation, sport and cultural events;
- Ensuring psycho-social rehabilitation for internally displaced children, developing their professional abilities and promoting employment;
- We founded first sport/rehabilitation center in Georgia.
- The building and the special swimming pool were created for young wheelchair users.
- Five children from Day Care Centers were sent to public schools, three adults were employed. The service is currently offered to 18 children and 22 adults.
- 15 young people with disabilities found permanent employment as a result of our work.
RAISING AWARENESS 7 PROJECTS
Raising awareness work involved:
- Public Campaigns
- Integrated Camps
- Trainings on the Rights of Disabled Women
- Art Exhibitions/Performances
Theater performance Surprise was held on the big stage of Kote Marjanishvili State Theater, which enjoyed outstanding attendance and high media coverage by Georgian media outlets.
EDUCATION – 11 PROJECTS Following issues were tackled through education projects:
- Pre-school education for children with disabilities, inclusive education in public schools;
- Non-formal professional education for the disabled and internally displaced young people;
- Education of parents of disabled children regarding the issues of disability management.
- Association Anika founded integrated classes in four public schools in Tbilisi and one Gori. The infrastructure and methodology was developed for inclusive education as a result of our work in #10 public school in Tbilisi.
- More than 150 disabled and internally displaced persons, some of who were later employed, .received professional education.
- Education campaigns for parents advanced integration of disabled children into the society.
Defending Rights of Persons with Disabilities/Advocacy – 6 projects
Following issues were tackled through these projects:
- Defense of rights of persons with disabilities and their family members;
- Advocacy for implanting gender issues in education system;
- Identification and advocacy of needs of disabled and single mothers.
Legal Center was created under the auspices of Association Anika; 1052 legal consultations were given: two cases of successful advocacy, two court cases and six administrative cases were revealed within the frameworks of the project.
Except for goal-directed programs and projects, Association constantly works for the institutional development and strengthening capacities of its staff, and adopts and shares experiences and know-how of developed countries.